This release is much improved over the previous ones.
First off I now use the Microsoft Expression Encoder to handle video transcoding. So there is a new prerequisite, you must have Encoder installed for it to work. However it will work with the express edition so there is no reason to buy anything. You can download the encoder here http://www.microsoft.com/expression/
Second now it will support any file type that you have codec’s installed for. I recommend downloading and installing as many codec’s as you can. I personally use the XP codec pack on my server which can be found here http://www.xpcodecpack.com/. Don’t be fooled by the name this works fine on server 2003 and 2008
Thirdly this release requires some minor configuration that was not necessary in the previous ones details follow below.
To install the BETA 3 release follow these steps
1. Copy the included UploadFiles.dll to your C:\ drive
2. Copy the included gacutil.exe and gacutil.config to your C:\ drive
3. Go to Start->Run and type cmd
4. Then input the command "cd C:\" without quotes
4. Input the command "gacutil /i UploadFiles.dll" without quotes
5. Input the command "iisreset /noforce" without quotes
6. Navigate to the directory where your podcasting site is hosted usually this is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\"port your podcasting site runs on"
7. Open up the web.config file
8. Use control+f to find this entry "<httpRuntime" again without quotes
9. The line you find should look something like this <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="51200" />
10. Add this to the line without quotes executionTimeout="99999999" in the end it should look like this
<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="51200"executionTimeout="99999999" />
11. Now save the web.config file and you are good to go
Features that did not make it into this release
The progress bar (I am having issues with that likely there will be another release next week that fixes it)
ZUNE and Smartphone transcoding I am currently testing what the best settings are for this I have an async thread that does the encoding setup but it does not do anything yet (This should be out sometime next week as well)